Wat_SuanDok2

Wat Suan Dok (Wat Buppharam) was built in 1371 in the garden of King Kuna to keep the Great Relic of Lord Buddha which has been brought from Sukhothai. It had deteriorated until the reign of King Kawila (1782 – 1813) who ordered the restoration of this temple.

In 1907, Chao Dararasami, the royal consort of King Rama V, of Na Chiang Mai Royal lineage, moved the stupas keeping relics of royal persons to be placed at Wat Suan Dok. In 1932 Khru Ba Si Wichai, a significant priest of Lanna, made a restoration and some reconstruction of Wihan Luang (the main hall).

Wat_SuanDok6

วัดสวนดอก

วัดสวนดอกหรือวัดบุปผาราม สร้างขึ้นในบริเวณสวนดอกไม้ของพระเจ้ากือนาธรรมิกราช แห่งราชวงศ์มังราย เมื่อ พ.ศ. 1914 เพื่อบรรจุพระบรมสารีริกธาตุ ที่พระสมุนเถระอัญเชิญมาแต่กรุงสุโขทัย ครั้นสิ้นราชวงศ์มังราย วัดชำรุดทรุดโทรมและร้างไปในที่สุด จนถึงสมัยพระเจ้ากาวิละได้กู้อิสรภาพสำเร็จ และได้บูรณะวัดให้อยู่ในสภาพดีอีกครั้งหนึ่ง

ต่อมาปี พ.ศ. 2450 พระราชชายาเจ้าดารารัศมี ในรัชกาลที่ 5 ซึ่งเป็นเจ้านายในราชตระกูล ณ เชียงใหม่ ได้ย้ายเอาอนุสาวรีย์ (กู่) ของเจ้านายในราชตระกูล ณ เชียงใหม่ มาไว้ที่วัดสวนดอก และในปี พ.ศ. 2475 ครูบาศรีวิชัยนักบุญแห่งล้านนาได้มาบูรณะวัดและสร้างวิหารหลวงขึ้น

Wat_SuanDok1

Pagoda or Chedi at Wat Suan Dok

The pagoda was built by King Kue Na in A.D. 1373 in order to enshrine the Buddha relic brought from Sukothai by Ven Sumana Thera, it is about 48 meters high and built in a bell-shaped form showing a mix of Sri Lankan and Sukhothai arts. Besides, the pagoda has the stairway at its four sides. Since its construction up until now (A.D. 2008) it had undergone several restorations. Among them, the most important ones were led by Kruba Sri Vichai in A.D. 1931, by Phrakru Sugandhtsil (Luang Poo Kamsaen) in A.D. 1946, and by Ven Phra Amaravethi, an abbot, and Asst. Prof. Ketsuda Chatuthai in A.D. 2003 – 2006. In particular, the last restoration included the gilding of pagoda.

พระบรมธาตุเจดีย์วัดสวนดอก

สร้างในสมัยพระเจ้ากือนา เมื่อ พ.ศ. 1916 เพื่อบรรจุพระบรมสารีริกธาตุ ที่พระสุมนเถระนำมาจากรุงสุโขทัย องค์พระเจดีย์สูง 24 วา เป็นเจดีย์ทรงระฆัง ศิลปะลังกาผสมสุโขทัย นอกจากนี้ยังมีทางขึ้นพระเจดีย์ทั้ง 4 ด้าน นับตั้งแต่แรกสร้างจนถึงปัจจุบัน (พ.ศ. 2552) พระเจดีย์ได้รับการบูรณะมาแล้วหลายครั้ง ที่สำคัญมีดังนี้ พ.ศ. 2474 ครูบาศรีวิชัยเป็นประธานการบูรณะ พ.ศ. 2489 พระครูสุคันธศีล (หลวงปู่คำแสน) เป็นประธาน และ พ.ศ. 2546 – 2549 พระอมรเวที เจ้าอาวาสวัดสวนดอก และผู้ช่วยศาสตราจารย์เกษสุดา ฉัตรอุทัย เป็นประธาณการบูาณะ รวมทั้งการปิดทององค์พระเจดีย์ด้วย




Wat Suan Dok วัดสวนดอก

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *