WatDoiSuthep1

The History of Wat Phra That Doi Suthep

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep was built in 1929 by the sixth King Phaya Kue Na of Lanna Kingdom, Meng Rai Dynasty. He respectfully engaged the Lord Buddha’s relics that he kept in his shrine for 13 years to the pagoda of Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. He took the relics on the back of the elephant and prayed for the sacred place. The elephant walked to the sacred Doi Suthep mountain and showed the significance that this is the most suitable place to keep the sacred relics by acclaiming and walking round for three times. The King ordered to dig the hole and built the stone platform in the big hole and enshrined the relics down then filled with stones and created 5 meters high pagoda on the cover. Therefore, the ritual of not wearing shoes in the area and no women allowed is applied in order to worship and pay respect to the relics. In 1538, King Muang Ket Klao, the 12th King of Lanna, renovated the pagoda by expanding the size of pagoda to be 11 feet wide and 6 meters high and put a golden lotus on the pinnacle. Later, his son, Chao Tao kham Yot, has the gold plate to put round the pagoda.

WatDoiSuthep2

In the year 1557, Pra Maha Yanmongkol, the monk from Asoka Ram of Lamphun has established the Naga staircase up to the pagoda. Moreover, Kruba Siwichai with the respectfull villagers built the 11.53 Kilometer road uphill to the place where the temple located which in order to be easier to the public to go worship the relics. On the way up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep, the most sacred monument of Kruba Siwichai was established as another place for the people to worship. Moreover, visitor is able to relax at the beautiful 9 step natural waterfall of Montatarn as well as another sacred temple, Wat Palard, which is the first stop of the sacred elephant while took the journey of sacred relics of the legendary inventor of the Wat phra That Doi Suthep. The scenery and beautiful view of the city from a high vantage point is available before take the journey up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.

WatDoiSuthep8




ประวัติวัดพระธาตุดอยสุเทพราชวรวิหาร

วัดพระธาตุดอยสุเทพราชวรวิหาร สร้างขึ้นเมื่อปี พ.ศ. 1929 ในสมัยพญากือนา กษัตริย์องค์ที่ 6 แห่งอณาจักรล้านนา ราชวงศ์เม็งราย พระองค์ทรงได้อัญเชิญ พระบรมสารีริกธาตุองค์ใหญ่ที่ได้ทรงเก็บไว้สักการะบูชาส่วนพระองค์นานถึง 13 ปี มาบรรจุไว้ที่นี่ ด้วยการทรงอธิษฐานเสี่ยงช้างมงคลเพื่อเสี่ยงทายสถานที่ประดิษฐาน พอช้างมงคลเดินมาถึงยอดดอยสุเทพ ช้างก็ร้องสามครั้งพร้อมกับทำทักษิณาวัตรสามรอบแล้วล้มลง พระองค์จึงโปรดเกล้าฯ ให้ขุดดินลึก 8 ศอก กว้าง 6 วา 3 ศอก หาแท่นหินใหญ่ 6 แท่น มาวางเป็นรูปหีบใหญ่ในหลุม แล้วอัญเชิญพระบรมสารีริกธาตุลงมาประดิษฐานไว้ จากนั้นถมด้วยหินและก่อพระเจดีย์ สูง 5 วา ครอบบนนั้น  ด้วยเหตุนี้ จึงห้ามพุทธศาสนิกชนที่ไปนมัสการ สวมรองเท้าในบริเวณพระธาตุ และมิให้สตรีเข้าไปบริเวณนั้น ในปี พ.ศ. 2081 สมัยพระเมืองเกษเกล้า กษัตริย์องค์ที่ 12 ได้ทรงโปรดฯ ให้เสริมพระเจดีย์ให้สูงกว่าเดิมเป็น กว้าง 6 วา  สูง 11 ศอก พร้อมทั้งให้ช่างนำทองคำทำเป็นรูปดอกบัวใส่บนยอดเจดีย์ และต่อมาเจ้าท้าวทรายคำ ราชโอรส ได้ทรงให้ตีทองคำเป็นแผ่นติดที่พระบรมธาตุ

ในปี พ.ศ. 2100 พระมหาญาณมงคลโพธิ์ วัดอโศการาม เมืองลำพูน ได้สร้างบันไดนาคหลวงทั้ง 2 ข้าง เพื่อให้ประชาชนขึ้นไปสักการะได้สะดวกขึ้น และกระทั่งถึงสมัยครูบาศรีวิชัย ท่านได้สร้างถนนขึ้นไป โดยถนนที่สร้างนี้มีความยาวถึง 11.53 กิโลเมตร

ระหว่างทางขึ้นไปวัดพระธาตุดอยสุเทพฯ แวะสักการะอนุสาวรีย์ครูบาศรีวิชัย เพื่อเป็นสิริมงคล จากนั้นพักผ่อนหย่อนใจกับธรรมชาติอันสวยงามที่น้ำตกมณฑาธาร ซึ่งมีความสูงถึง 9 ชั้น แวะเยี่ยมชมวัดผาลาดอนุสรณ์  สถานแห่งการเสี่ยงทาย สถานที่ประดิษฐานพระบรมธาตุ ตามตำนานสร้างวัดพระธาตุดอยสุเทพ แวะถ่ายรูปและชมทัศนียภาพอันสวยงามของเมืองเชียงใหม่จากมุมสูง ที่จุดชมวิว ก่อนขึ้นพระธาตุดอยสุเทพ

WatDoiSuthep5

Wat Phra That Doi Suthep วัดพระธาตุดอยสุเทพ

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *